Today: 8am pg. 219 Matins
9:15-10am Adult Bible Class & Sunday School
10:15am pg. 203 Divine Service
11:30am Catechism- Public School
12 noon -4pm Crafts & Caroling (High School Youth)
Tuesday: 6am Early Bird Bible Class
6:30pm Wyneken Christmas Musical Concert
7pm Adult Catechism
Wednesday: 7pm Advent Service (Preaching: Dr. Daniel J Brege)
8pm Choir Practice
Thursday: 6:30pm Ladies Aid Christmas Party
Next Sunday: 8am pg. 203 Divine Service
9:15-10:00 am Sunday school and Bible Class
10:15am pg. 219 Matins
NEWS AND NOTES, December 16, 2018
At St. Paul, Preble
- Gaudete greetings! This coming Sunday, is 'pink candle' Sunday. We will light the third, or pink candle in the Advent wreath. Pink is the color of rejoicing. The ancient Church called this Sunday 'Gaudete' or the Sunday of 'Joy,' because of the first word of the Introit, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice." In the midst of the season's gloominess and frigid temperatures, in the midst of the solemnity of the penitential season of Advent, we rejoice in the Lord who came and will come, bringing life and salvation. Come, Lord Jesus!
- The Ladies Aid Christmas party will be held Thursday, December 20th at 6:30pm. Please remember to bring your Secret Pal gift and a gift for your spouse. We wish to invite all those who graciously helped with noodle making and the church bazaar. Make your reservations no later than Sunday, December 16th by contacting Jan Blum (223-3532), Lynn Brege (547-4256) or Kelly Todd (466-7494). We look forward to seeing you there!
- In Bible Class we will continue our study on Revelation. This week, I hope to get through most of chapter 2.
- ADVENT MIDWEEK SERVICES. We have one more of these on the 19th at 7pm. Pastor Brege preaches on the 'Nunc Dimittis.'
- ACOLYTES- If you (or your kid) currently serves as an acolyte, please let me know your availability for the Christmas Eve program. I need all acolytes who are willing, and I will use every one that is here! I need acolytes to carry the cross and help light individual candles which will be passed out to all the members of the congregation at the beginning of the service. Please plan to be present here at 5:30pm Christmas Eve for training. Thanks
- EIGHTH GRADERS/WREATH LIGHTING. I would like to commend our Eighth graders this year. They have done an outstanding job presenting themselves and reciting a verse for each and every service this Advent including the midweek services. They will continue to recite verses through Christmas Day, on the theme of the titles for Jesus in the hymn, O Come, Emmanuel. Our Preble 8th graders participating in the wreath lighting are: Sydney Keane, Leyna Macke, Nevaeh Martinez, Skyler Steiner, and Haleigh Wesley.
- The various church organizations should get their final reports to our church secretary by January 11th so the annual report can be completed before the Church Council meeting on January28th
- ADAMS HERITAGE AND WOODCREST. For those involved with pushing wheelchairs and bringing our residents to the Divine Services at Woodcrest- I am now in the rotation also at Adams Heritage. I will visit both places next on Jan. 10th (Adams H- 11AM; Woodcrest 1:30PM) and would certainly appreciate your help if available. Please see me if you would like a copy of the yearly schedule.
- 2019 Offering envelope boxes are now available in the narthex. Please see a deacon if you need assistance in locating yours. If you did not receive a box and would like one, please contact Alan Zimmerman.
- Email and Updated Contact Information: if you would like to start receiving email announcements of upcoming events at Preble, please write your email address on the Church Director in the narthex. Also please update any relevant contact information on the Church Directory.
- Paul Endowment Fund. Do you have an idea on how the St. Paul Endowment Fund can be used for the following items? 1. Missions: Local, regional and world projects. 2. Youth: Support for youth of all ages. 3. Worship and Music: Support for the worship activities of our congregation. 4. Capital Projects: Major renovations and building of new facilities. All members are encouraged to consider potential uses for these funds. Take this time to give it some thought to submit ideas and quotes for any of the items listed above for the 2019 year. In the recent years more than $222,000 has been used to support the above items. Application forms and Bylaws can be found on the table in the rear of the church. Grant applications will be accepted thru January 6th. Any questions call Sue Buuck, Barry Melcher, Ethan Brege, Catherine Faurote or Mike Werling.
At Wyneken Lutheran School
- As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of our Wyneken Memorial Lutheran School, we recognize the graduates of our school. This week we remember the Wyneken graduating class of 1986. Todd Berning, Stacey Bixler, Erik Blomenberg, Jennifer Bradtmueller, Michelle Buuck, Cassie Conrad, Seth Croucher, Kim Ewell, Beth Fuhrman, Meg Gallmeyer, Scott Gehres, Scott Hartman, Royce Huffman, Alan Keuneke, Delin Kleine, Ryan Linnemeier, Todd McBride, Matthew Melcher, Michael Peters, Shane Rekeweg, Todd Scheumann, Christina Schuller, Tonya Townsend, William Zwick
- Youth Event today: Craft & Caroling, we will gathering the Bingen Parsonage 1 next to church for lunch and Christmas crafts before traveling to a couple nursing homes for caroling and distributing the Christmas crafts.
- SGO Donations. For those donating to our Wyneken School through an SGO, SGO donations will still give the donor a 50% tax credit for their Indiana State taxes. However, the federal IRS will no longer allow such donations to be itemized. Call John Dize at 260-203-4509 or go to
- Attendance Record. Our Wyneken Parents who attend worship here with their Wyneken children are reminded to initial their column on the special books in the narthex. We have begun another 6 months of record keeping for attendance. Recall that each family with their Wyneken children must attend at least 14 services at the church to retain their member tuition status.
- “50th Anniversary Gala & Silent Auction” We would appreciate your support and partnership with us as we hold our 50th Anniversary Gala & Silent Auction. This special event helps reduce the number of smaller fundraisers our school does while helping to benefit our students, teachers, and staff through the dollars raised. Portion of the proceeds from this event will be used to help update and improve the school’s playground. We are seeking donations for the silent auction as well as sponsorship. Your donations are greatly appreciated and are tax deductible. All donors will be featured in our event program! For any information call Kari Butcher 260-223-2277 / or Erin Hull 260-580-2709/
- Next Week Readings: Micah 5:2-5, Hebrews 10:5-10, Luke 1:39-45