Serving Christ During the Week
Today: 8am Divine Service pg. 184, Setting Three
9:15-10am Adult Bible Class & Sunday School
10:15am Matins pg. 219
2-6 Parish Hall in use
2-3 Life Chain at Zion Lutheran, Decatur (see notes)
3pm LLL/LWML Zion Friedheim (see Notes)
6:30-8:30 Youth Gathering at Parsonage 1 (see notes)
Monday: 6pm & 7pm Elders & Council mtg
Tuesday: 7pm Voters mtg
Wednesday: 7pm Adult Instruction Class and Bible Class
7pm Choir practice
8am Matins pg. 219
9:15-10:00 am Sunday School and Bible Class
10:15am Divine Service pg. 184, Setting Three
6:30-8:30 Wyneken Volunteer Service and Games
NEWS AND NOTES October 14, 2018
- THANK YOU to all the members of St. Paul for your welcome and kindness last Sunday! It was a joy to meet you, to worship with you, and to be installed as your Pastor. For the gift shower, for the meal, for the music, choir, and for all who assisted in any and every way with the Service of Installation-thank you dear members of St. Paul! May God bless our life together as Pastor and Congregation!-Pastor Yeager
- The LWML/Ladies Aid meeting will be held Thursday, October 18th at 7pm. Our special guest is Chelsie MacIntosh, who is currently studying to be a Deaconess. We look forward to learning more about what a deaconess does and how Chelsie chose this path. All women of the church are invited and we will have collection of mites for missions.
- Next Elders and council meeting will be October 15th at 6pm and 7pm. Voters meeting on the 16th at 7pm
- We will be making noodles on the 22nd, 23rd, 25th and 26th starting at 7am each day. Come whenever you can and stay as long as you wish. Lunch is served each day. Come and join in the fellowship.
- LLL/LWML at Zion, Friedhem, 3pm. Program: Life of Friedrich Conrad Dietich Wyneken.. A light evening meal will be served.
- Our Wyneken Parents who attend worship here with their Wyneken children are reminded to initial their column on the special books in the narthex. We have begun another 6 months of record keeping for attendance. Recall that each family with their Wyneken children must attend at least 14 services at the church to retain their member tuition status.
- The Early-Bird Bible Class, which meets every Tuesday morning at 6 am in the Bingen Parish Hall, will begin studying the book of Acts. This offers a wonderful way to start the day with the Word of God and prayer.
- As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of our Wyneken Memorial Lutheran School, we recognize the graduates of our school. This week we remember the Wyneken graduation class of 1977. Marcia Albersmeyer, Barry Bradtmueller, Eric Bulmahn, Terry Bultemeier, Tari Counterman, Wayne Erxleben, Daniel Hormann, Rhonda Keuneke, Cynthia Koenemann, Joseph Kozlowski, Todd Lepper, Michelle Macke, Rhonda Mailand, Joseph McDougall, Danielle McIntosh, Daniel Peters Leroy Peters, Ellen Ray, Timothy Scheumann, Gary Standiford, Ronald Strahm, David Uffelman, Michael Werling, Beth Wolfe
- Join us for the NATIONAL LIFE CHAIN! Life Chain is a peaceful, prayerful public witness of pro-life Americans standing in honor of 60 million lives lost to abortion praying for our nation, for people in crisis situations and for an end to abortion. It is a visual statement of solidarity by the Christian community that abortion kills children and that the Church support the sanctity of each human life from the moment of conception to natural death. Gaather at Zion Lutheran Fellowship Hall Door #7 at 2pm. Refreshments will be served after the event.
- Youth Gathering at Parsonage 1 by Bingen; It’s bonfire season, and we’re doing it again,.twice! Think about hot dogs. Think about delicious beef and vegetables wrapped in foil. Think about bringing a fire extinguisher and friend!!
- Next Sunday the Wyneken Volunteer and Games will meet again. We had 18 youth and 6 adults last month , and we’ve got space and soda for more. Join your fellow Wyneken alumni for an hour or so of service before having fun times in the Wyneken gymnasium.
- Prayer List: for members to use as they bring the needs of others before God’s throne of grace: Kathy Terhune, James Johnson, Marilyn Harvey, Rae Fuhrmann (long time Wyneken teacher) Lorreta Boroff-sister of Jake Miller
- St Peter Luthern Church (Fuelling) swiss steak or chicken breast dinner today from 10:30-1:00pm Adults $9 12 and under $5
- St Peter Immanuel Lutheran School Fish and Tenderloin dinner, Saturday, October 27 4-7pm Adults $10 Children $5 under 5 free
- St John (Flatrock) fall rummage sale Friday Oct. 19th and Saturday, Oct 20th
- TRUNK OR TREAT. All 6th-8th Grade students are invited to a community Trunk or Treat event Sat., Oct. 20th at 5:30pm in the grove just west of Wyneken Memorial Lutheran School. Parents may decorate their trunk and hand out treats, if they wish, in a safe and familiar environment for the kids. Cars, vans, or trucks which plan to provide and hand out treats will need to be in the parking lot and set up by 5pm, with trunk or treating and supper served from 5:30-6:30pm. Prizes will be awarded for the best decorated trunks! If you are interested in having a trunk and passing out treats, please call the St. John Church office at 639-6178 or email Jani MacDowell at 15th.Supper includes homemade chili, hot dogs, donuts, and cider. After the trunk or treat, we will have hayrides and build a fire in the grove. Bring your lawnchairs, blankets, and beverages. In the event of inclement weather, no rain date is scheduled.
- SGO DONATIONS. For those planning to donate to our Wyneken School through an SGO, SGO donations will still give the donor a 50% tax credit for their Indiana State taxes. However, the federal IRS will no longer allow such donations to be itemized. Call John Dize at 260-203-4509 or go to .
- Next week lessons: Eccl 5 :10-20, Hebrews 4:1-13 (14-16), Mark 10:23-31
Saint Paul Lutheran Church
Sermon: The Rich Young Ruler: Who, or What, is your God?
What does it mean to have a god? A god is anything in which you put your trust. Luther says in the Large Catechism that the trust of the heart makes both God and idol. In the First Commandment we are called to fear, love, and trust in God above all things. But the Rich Young Ruler's god was his wealth, and his superior morality: "All these Commandments I have kept from my youth." His trust was in money and morality, not in Christ.
Jesus tells the man he should sell everything and give his wealth to the poor. Why? This is a call to repentance. The man should give up the thing which he had been trusting in the place of God. The man should forsake the idol of wealth, and follow Jesus: that is, trust in Jesus for life and salvation.
To us, the call is the same: what are the idols we've been loving and trusting besides God? The Law reveals those idols. The Gospel promises forgiveness and cleansing from all our false worship and idolatry in the blood of Christ which cleanses us from every sin and makes us holy people in him.
P: Lord, in your mercy C: Hear our prayer:
Our Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Our Sick & Shut-in
Birthdays: Sarah Evans, Marilyn Werling, Marge Merriman, Tyler Engstrom, Derick Vogel, Alex Steiner, Karla Marbach, Smauel Strome
SERVICE OF LOVE IN CHRIST
Serving Christ and Being Served in Worship
9am. Bible class 53
Installation Service 145
Serving Christ in our Offerings
Need Weekly: $7,049.90 Received Last Week:
(+) or (-) Weekly: ($3,615.15) (+) or (-) Year to Date: ( $ 56,686.82)