Serving Christ during the Week
Today: Guest Preacher: [Rev Dr. John Nordling]
8am, Divine Service
9:15-10am Adult Bible Class & Sunday school
2-6 pm parish hall in use
6:30-8:30 Youth Gathering (see notes)
Wednesday: 7pm Adult Instruction Class and Bible Class
7pm Choir practice
Next Sunday: [Guest Preacher Rev. Mark Steiner]
9:15-10:00 am Adult Bible Class and Sunday school
10:15am Divine Service
3pm parish hall in use (see notes: sewing cancer pads)
6:30-8:30 Wyneken Volunteer Service (see notes)
NEWS AND NOTES September 23, 2018
- We welcome today Rev. Dr. John Nordling; he is a professor of Exegetical Theology at Concordia Theological Seminary, teaching Greek and NT courses.
- Next Elders and council meeting will be October 15th at 6pm and 7pm. Voters meeting on the 16th at 7pm. The dates were changed to accommodate our new pastor.
- Today’s Altar flowers are in Celebration of Ralph and Marcia Selking’s 60th wedding anniversary. They were given by their children, grandchildren and great- grandchildren. May the Lord bless them and all marriages of the congregation.
- As Pastor Brege is able, he will teach the Adult Instruction Class and Bible Class on Wednesday evening. He hopes to teach this class either until its completion or until the new pastor an take over.
- God’s Word from 9:15-10am. Substitute pastors will teach on a topic of their choice, often teaching on one of the lessons of the day. We thank again those individuals who will be teaching our children in Sunday school. May we all grow in the grace and KNOWLEDGE of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18)
- As Pastor Brege is now working fulltime with Indiana District matters, in an urgent situation members are encouraged to contact an area pastor (Dahling, Brock, Voorman, Christian).
- Youth Gathering at Parsonage by Bingen-We will gather for food and fellowship at 6:30 at the parsonage. If the weather behaves itself, we will have a fire and do amazing things with it-like make pizzas with pie irons, and honey-filled biscuits with sticks and stuff, and s’mores. Please bring along a camp chair or two.
- Our Wyneken parents who attend worship here with their Wyneken children are reminded to initial their column on the special books in the narthex. We have begun another 6 months of record keeping for attendance. Recall that each family with their Wyneken children must attend at least 14 services at the church to retain their member tuition status.
- The Early-Bird Bible Class, which meets every Tuesday morning at 6 a.m. in the Bingen Parish Hall, will begin studying the book of Acts this Tuesday. This offers a wonderful way to start the day with the Word of God and prayer.
- If you love to sing and wish to use your talent in service to the Lord, please join us as the Adult Choir practices on Wednesdays at 7pm. Sing to the Lord a new song!
- As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of our Wyneken Memorial Lutheran School, we recognize the graduates of our school. This week we remember the Wyneken graduation class of 1974. Malcom Albersmeyer, Roger Berning, Stuart Berning, Brent Bultemeier, Brenda Buuck, Linda DeBolt, Gregory Ehlerding, Daniel Hobrock, Duane Kiess, Carma Kleine, Jeffery Koenemann, Judith Lepper, Mitchell Mailand, Jill Scheumann, Robyn Scheumann, Davi d Schroeder, James Schueler, Luke Selking, Connie Strahm, Ronald Uffelman, Deborah Werling
- Please mark your calendars now for the following activities: Sunday, September 30, 2018. SRD Workshop 3:00 PM, St Paul-Preble, Sew Cancer Pads. Please bring your favorite thimble, needle, and scissors. Preble ladies will be serving a light evening meal. Sunday, October 7, 2018 LLL/LWML Fall Rally, 3:00 PM St Peter-Fuelling Program: Life of Friedrich Conrad Dietrich Wyneken. Light evening meal will be served by Fuelling ladies.
- For those planning to donate to our Wyneken School through an SGO, SGO donations update: SGO donations WILL still give the donor a 50% tax credit for their Indians taxes. However the Federal IRS will no longer allow such donations to be itemized. Call Jon Dize at 260-203-4509 or go to
- Wyneken Golf Fundraiser: The Wyneken Class of 2020 (current 7thgrade) golf outing fundraiser is Sunday, September 30 at the Cross Creek Golf Course in Decatur. Four-person scramble with a shotgun start at 12pm. Golfers of all ages and abilities are welcome! $240/per foursome; $60/individual – Cost includes greens fees, prizes and dinner. A meal will follow at approximately 5pm in the pavilion and will be catered by Nine Mile Restaurant. Don’t golf? That’s okay; you can purchase meal tickets only for $12. There will be Individual and Team prizes - Longest drive and closest to the pin contest – Putting contest – Skins Game! We are looking for sponsors! Promote your business while you support the class of 2020. All proceeds go towards trip expenses. Deadline to enter is September 20. Forms are available in the school office during business hours, 7:30am-3:30pm or for information contact Greg Louis at 260-450-2923 or by email at .
- "Prayer list" for members to use as they bring the needs of others before God's throne of grace: Kathy Terhune has miraculously shown improvement; James Johnson; Marilyn Harvey; Rae Fuhrmann (long time Wyneken teacher).
- Senior Citizen Lunch and Program at New Hope Lutheran Church, Ossian. Thursday October 4th at 11:30am. Pastor Peter Brock will speak on making decisions and caring for your loved ones at life’s end. Please call the church office at 622-7954 by Tuesday the 2nd to reserve your spot! A free will offering will be accepted to cover the cost of the food.
- The Lessons for next Sunday are Numbers 11:4-6,10-16,24-29; James 5:1-12;13-20; Mark9:38-50
Saint Paul Lutheran Church
Sermon: “Who is the Greatest?”
P: Lord, in your mercy C: Hear our prayer:
Our Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Anniversary: Ralph & Marcia Selking 60th
Our Sick & Shut-in
Birthdays: Julie Schueler, Levi Adams, Ben Blum, Barb Bulmahn, Karen Fisher, Maddie McCullough, Emily Ehlerding, John Schueler, Arleen Byrd, Mike Werling, Nick Nussbaum, Terry Selking
SERVICE OF LOVE IN CHRIST
Serving Christ and Being Served in Worship
9am Bible class 62
Serving Christ in our Offerings
Need Weekly: $7,049.90 Received Last Weeks: 6,008.00
(+) or (-) Weekly: $(1,041.90) (+) or (-) Year to Date: $ 51,617.05)